Hi Five Oakers,
There are several things I want to share with you today.
#1 –Get a recap of the weekend services with highlights of our prayers, readings and songs here.
#2 – Missed being with all of you this weekend. I’m out in CA. Went to a workshop on communication at Duarte in Mountain View (thank God for their non-profit's discount). Great workshop with so many useful tools and ideas.
#3 – Also took some vacation days beforehand with Lois. We hung out in the Santa Cruz in the mountains (great hiking!) and at the beach (chilly but fun). Attended Vintage Faith Church in Santa Cruz. Great time of worship at this unique church that seems to be doing a great job of reaching out to their unique community. One thing we enjoyed there was their cafe which is open all week and has concerts and such. We went to a free concert on Saturday night at the cafe.
#4 - Visited with a Chinese friend of ours in Oakland for a couple of days. When he came to the U.S. and we met him, he hardly spoke English. Came to go to school in KS. We met him through an international students ministry and he became part of our family for the next few years. Now he’s an engineer in the Oakland area (his co. makes the buses for St. Paul), married and has two kids. Great time with his family and ate way too much. We also did a segway tour and a big bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and Tiburon (back on the ferry).
#5 – 94 register so far for the Leadership Summit. All are invited to free Friday lunch. Staff will serve as table hosts and I will share about vision and future plans.
#6 – The Children’s ministry is having a VBS celebration for all kids on August 24/25 with VBS songs, wearing their T-shirts, and the Ice Cream truck is coming! This is a great outreach opportunity. Families, invite your friends who have kids. Seriously, it's going to be great. Invite!
#7 - Remodeling has begun in the kid’s wing with clearing the walls with an anticipated completion the week of Aug. 19. I can’t wait to tell you about all the other campus improvements we’re making in the next 3-4 weeks! You will not believe it.
#8 – We have a Volunteer/Ministry Fair is Aug. 10/11 & 17/18 in the Commons.
#9 – Here’s a comment we received back from the cards we send to first-time guests:
7/8 - Communion was a little confusing. Maybe announce what to do with different stations and direct where to go? [It’s hard to take everything in when you’re in a new place, especially when things are done differently. I did explain it, but your comment reminds me to keep working hard at being super clear. Thanks.]
#10 – Here are most of your comments from the Communication Cards:
- Nice job Nathan!
- Loved the video! Such a powerful message! How could one not feel motivated? Please post video on website. [Sorry, we can’t post it for copyright reasons. You can purchase it at the Willow Creek Association site.]
- Great message and worship!
- Love, love, love worshipping with you, Dan! Thanks for beautiful, moving, touching music! So glad to hear the powerful message again! Amazing as first time – totally pumped for upcoming GLS. [I’m just a few miles from Ortberg’s church this week. Wondering if I should drop by his office and take him out for coffee. I’m sure he’s not doing anything today.)
- Loved the worship set. Reminds me who I was and where I came from. “In tenderness he sought me, weary and sick with sin. And on His shoulders brought me, back to His fold again.”
- Loved the band/musicians. Sooo talented! [We are blessed to have so many talented musicians that are willing to serve God by leading us in worship!]
- Spotlights much better today! Thanks. [Yes!]
- I’m not liking the 6:00 service time. Hoping you will bring back 4:30 service soon. [We are going back to 4:30pm after Labor Day.]
- If it’s true that education honors God (as said in today’s video), why don’t we punctuate our lyric slides? [The Bible was originally written without punctuation or spaces between words because those things had not been invented. We're just trying to be biblical. Okay, just kidding about the trying to be biblical by not using punctuation, but the rest is true.]
Headed home today.
Blessings to all of you, Pastor Henry